Monday, September 25, 2006

New Year of Jewelry 2006-2007



I've joined the program again. I had to skip the last session of the 2005-2006 year of jewelry because of summer vacation schedules, but its a new year! and new challenges.

I had to bite the bullet; in a week and 1/2 I'm taking two different classes at Beadfest with Robbie:

http://www.lapidaryjournal.com/beadfest/classes/index.cfm?action=class&classid=4167 and
http://www.lapidaryjournal.com/beadfest/classes/index.cfm?action=class&classid=4267

The first one says 'Prior knowledge of setting faceted stones with prongs is helpful' so I bought her book (Obsessions in Wire) and now can say I did one, lol! I'll make sure I do a it a few more times before the class, don't worry Robbie!

This is the first set of instructions in her book 'single end prong basket'. Of course the instructions say to use 24 gauge square and 21 gauge 1/2 round; I had 22 guage square and 20 gauge 1/2 round, sigh... 98,000 kinds of wire, I never seem to have the right stuff! But for my first attempt I'm not totally upset. The stone is 6x8 amethyst (the only thing I actually had the right size of!). I can see this is one of the 'practice practice practice' type of things.... The pictures make this look huge, but its actually only 5/16s by 10/16s (i.e., a little more than 1/4 x 3/4 of an inch).




2 Comments:

Blogger Patti G. said...

This is beautiful Nancy!!!! Your talents with wire and beads and stones is terrific! I am sure you will learn even more at Beadfest! Looking forward to seeing more beauties! Hugs,Patti

4:16 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

NICELY DONE, NANCY!!! Love the deep purple too!

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home